in this post, I am going to show you the way that you can reset your WordPress admin Password via FTP.
WordPress stores user credentials along with other contents in the database, to reset WordPress password using FTP we need to make be able to read and write in the database.
To reset WordPress password with FTP we are going to use a utility script called pwdreset.php developed by pwdreset.com. This tool allows us to modify the database without any complicated steps.
- Login to your FTP server and navigate to your WordPress root directory. The root directory of WordPress is where you can see the files such as wp-config.php and wp-settings.php and index.php
- Upload pwdreset.php file in the same directory.
- Access the script on your domain via a web browser. for example, that would look like mycoolwebsite.com/pwdreset.php
- You will now see the list of users in your WordPress database. select the username which you wish to reset the password for and then click on the “Reset Password” button.
- now you will see a new generated password for the user you selected in the previous step, try the new credentials and ensure it is working as expected. if everything works as expected.
- now it is time to remove the script from your hosting using FTP. this is a very important step, be aware if you do not do this your website will be at a high security risk.
Those were all the steps you need to reset your WordPress password using FTP.
I hope this article has helped you, please let me know if you used pwdreset to regain access to your wordpress website.